Sunday, February 12, 2012

Why I care about Whitney Houston's death

I am very sad about Whitney Houston's death, she was without a doubt one of the greatest singers of all time.  She is also a tragic figure and I just hope this does not become the byline every time we hear one of her great songs,  once the dust has settled after her death.  
  She was forty-eight years old, the same as I am.  She battled addiction,  she will be called a druggie and some people will say horrible things about this beautiful lady.  But not everyone is as strong as we would like them to be, no body grows up and says "I want to be a drug addict, or an alcoholic "
  Here is why I relate to this on a personal level.  Nobody wants to be food addicted either,  Nobody says "Hey I want to be an out of control Diabetic!"  I am sure she was a faithful person, so am I.  Some of my previous blogs have been about temptation and well meaning people who don,t understand that you have a weakness, and if the thing that you are addicted to is put in front of you often enough you will probably give in, enjoy the moment, then hate yourself afterward for giving in.   How many people will smile and say, "well you have to die sometime" as they do the very thing that will lead them there.
  Lets not be too judgmental about things that other people do because we all have our demons.  lets not be too hard on ourselves if we lend support to a person and they still have a hard time changing, or if our good advice seems to be rejected at the moment.  A person usually has two choices in life, they want to change and will really make an effort to get better, or they will die.  The want to succeed has to lie in a persons heart, but even then they have to fight everyday of their life to not go back to the thing that they are addicted to.
  Please don't say well food addiction is not like drug addiction, anything that has the potential to kill you as the end result is serious.  
  I just hope and pray that this beautiful and talented person is at peace now, God bless her.                            Mrs Cook
  

2 comments:

  1. Bill showed me a clip of her singing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl after 9/11. She was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was! The greatest Love is one of my favorite all time songs. She set a standard, and yes her version of the National Anthem was probably the greatest of all time!

    ReplyDelete