Thursday, February 16, 2012

My Hero

My hero is not an actor, singer or sports star, certainly not any politician.  My hero has more courage then any one of those could ever have.  
  He is a little boy who has type one Diabetes.  He is only four years old, but he accepts his Diabetes with Courage and grace.  
  He brings his own food from home so he can not eat the cupcakes that come in with other children for Birthday party's. He has to have his blood checked three times daily at school, He accepts this totally. with out a whimper or complaint  At first I did not want to do this to him, because I know how it feels, but the other day nobody else was in place to check him so I did.  I said lets go to the checking spot to check his oil, He laughed and that's why he is my hero, and my inspiration, He certainly does not feel sorry for himself, he simply does what he has to do.  He does not mind if the other kids watch, its  his daily routine.  The other day we talked about how I have to check my sugar everyday too, so he asked me to check mine the next day with him, which I gladly did, and delighted him.  I told him we are in the same club.  I want him to feel that he is not the only one who has to do this, and that he is not alone.  
  If we all had his courage, to face what life has for us we could do so much.  I spent so much of my life being afraid and hesitant.
  When I had to learn to inject myself with Insulin, it was my little hero that I was thinking of,  If he can do the things he has to do being Diabetic, at only four years old, so can I.   Thanks for looking in,  Mrs Cook




P.S  For those who don't know, to check your blood sugar, you must use a small meter, that has a readout, and load it with a test strip. Then you place a lancet which is a sharp little needle, to draw a drop of blood, into a devise that pricks your finger. You place this drop on the end of a test strip which then is read by the meter.  You should do this at least three times a day.  My little hero does it at least five times a day.  He calls it getting his stings.  

2 comments:

  1. We can get inspiration from so many sources, like a little 4 yr. old diabetic who so patiently accepts his daily stings. You're my inspiration Jeanne and I bet for a whole lot of other people too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pearl, I don't know about that, But I would like to show a more positive side to life because you only get one chance to do it right! I want people to know that through Faith, and through appreciation of "Little Heros, and great friends like you, I can turn things around and have a very good life. Have a great day, see you tonight! Love Mrs Cook

    ReplyDelete