Sunday, February 5, 2012

543...A number I can't live with.

543....Wow that's what my blood sugar ran three days ago...I had eaten half an order of hash browns, one half piece of toast, and two eggs. One cup decaff coffee.
Scary number, normal is suppose to be around 90 to 120.   543  it is the number of somebody who has not taken Diabetes  seriously.
I have been diabetic for around 15 years officially, I had it when I was pregnant with my son.  My Mother and Father have it,  Both of my brothers have it, My Grandma had it.
I have no Heath Care Insurance.  I used to before the car accident, but since then about seven years ago, we lost it all.  It has been a rough trip ever since then.
I do have to declare, and I will make a lot of people shake their heads over this I distrust a medical system that is profit driven.  I think that we are over medicated and I have always resisted the idea that all of our ills can be cured with popping pills.  Even so I decided about four months ago to try a free clinic to try to get some help for my Diabetes,  I started with Metforman and that was a disaster, I was also given at least two other pills to take as well.  I couldn't eat anything, I had to stay near the bathroom, my eyesite became so bad over night that I could not see to drive or see the T.V or computer screen.  They also decided to put me on Insulin, which I went back to the clinic three weeks later to learn how to inject myself with.  I tried to do this, I really did, I was doing the thing I feared most and had dreaded for years.  Bad, but not as bad as I thought.   Then the pain started.
Now I know what nerve pain feels like, I have diagnosed neuopathy,{ A test where they ram needles all up and down your legs and run electricity into them!  What fun that was!! }  This new pain was so intense I cried, it felt like I had glass jammed into my toes, and the shooting nerve pain was a hundred times worse then I had ever had, even worst the muscles in my legs tightened up and they almost felt wooden to me!  My hands also hurt, and my eyesight just got worse....When I went back to the free clinic the Dr...Nurse....I am not sure what she was simply was not interested in what I was saying to her, "Its just your Diabetes"  she said about everything I told her.  Three months later I had another appointment, the pain was so much worse, all I could do was make it through work at the daycare, I took the day off and prepared to have my visit. The day before the appointment they called and wanted me to cancel because they had overbooked. I told them NO I needed to see someone about all of the pain and my eye site.  The next day I went in and the girl with the attitude at the counter said.."Oh didn't they call you you were not suppose to come in" I said I did not cancel and I had to see somebody.  Well my husband was in the lobby and he told me later she openly Bitched about me for a half hour because I went ahead with my appointment.  As before the Dr said my complaints were " just my Diabetes"  And she gave me even more pills.   She wanted to set me up with an endocrine Dr. Now the last time I had bloodwork at the Free clinic I got a bill for $200.00 and seeing that I am still stuck with a $4000.00 bill for a kidney infection from the emergency room at a local hospital, I just basically gave up.
So I went off of everything.   Dumb move...Perhaps, but I can't live with that kind of pain, and the side effects of the medications have side effects which have the same thing I am trying to get rid of!
So we are back again to the number 543.   I can't live with that number...So by accident I found a website called  *DEATH FROM DIABETES*   I spent two hours just on the site, and did not finish it all, basically it reaffirms all that I had thought about medication, and about how food can be medicine.
I had kind of had these ideas, I had read a wonderful book called *DIABETES WITHOUT DRUGS*  about a year or so ago.   Perhaps its radical, perhaps its not what the Medical Industry wants to hear, but I began to seriously look at this approach, 543 scared me.  My next blog will be more about what I am going to try to do, will it work?  And an honest assessment of how I am doing.   Thanks for checking in, Mrs Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment