Saturday, February 18, 2012

A vegetarian who hates vegetables ...part two

So we went out to Golden Corral last night.   It is a place that sort of reminds me of Animals feeding at a food trough...Sorry I am just saying, I guess I am looking at things differently now food wise.   When you get invited out to eat at a place where a  Chocolate fountain is the center of the feast and there is every kind of bread, and dessert out to tempt you, you could lose your willpower very quickly.  I think I did O.K, I headed straight for the salad bar and had a Spinach salad, probably could learn to live without the cheese but still, Heres the choice, Fried chicken, or spinach with a little cheese on it!  I then had some white rice,,,{should have been brown if it had been out on the buffet line, and some Shrimp Scampi.   I really did not feel pressured to eat dessert or the breads,  because I was very focused on my plan.  I think it probably would be better for a person that was unsure if they could handle the temptation to eat at a place like that, to probably decline going there.  I knew ahead of time that they did have my spinach, and other choices like un-breaded fish 
  Later in the evening  my friend Pearl finally got my to look at a website called Calorie Count.  Before I was willing to go on my nutritional pathway, I just sort of did not want to be bothered, after all if you are deliberately eating the wrong things you all ready know it so why would you want to take the time that is required to let you know how bad you are doing.  But as I said I have a different mindset know so I let her show me the site.
  Calorie Count takes some time to set up but by answering some questions you can set up a plan that is geared toward your dietary needs.  I am using a plan for Diabetics, based on how active I am, and some other things.  What I really liked is that we put in to it all of things I ate yesterday, and it offers you a breakdown  of things like calories, fats, sodium, etc.  It is sort of like when I have to check my blood sugar, unless you have that number in front of you, you are just guessing!   It gives you a grade on how well you did according to your goals.  I ate too much fat, and not nearly enough fiber.  I thought I was doing just fine, but I could do better.  Maybe by using this as a tool to help me, maybe I could get my sugar numbers to budge in the right direction. Anyways I am going to try it.  I think it could help me to stay focused.
  Now back to my vegetarian state.  I do HATE vegetables as I have said before, but  I am still trying to get there.  I do like beans, they are an excellent form of protein and fiber, and no I do not get "distress" from them, so thats a bonus.  I also like tofu, so that can be a base for a meal,  Brown rice is  good  to base meals on.  *Braggs* Makes a soy spray that tastes good but is very low in salt.  I enjoy Almond Milk which has good vitamins in in and does not leave me groggy, like white milk does.   I will still eat some chicken and fish, but in a lean state and not fried.   If I want fry's, I would eat home made yam fry's, baked in the oven, these are very good.   Instead of flour based pasta I will eat Quinoa which is a good substitute.  So maybe I can do the impossible here, and I can only get better by educating myself, and using tools like Calorie Count, to get to where I want to be.
  I am going to try to add some more green type vegetables as my next goal.  I found that Green peas can be made tolerable by adding lemon juice to them.  So we will see how I do with that!   Thanks for looking in, Mrs Cook

2 comments:

  1. You wee a model of will power on Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pearl, As a reward for myself I went to Papa Joes yesterday and picked up a few treats, Like Pirate Booty, which is a crunchy snack made from rice and corn, it has spinach, kale, carrots and some other stuff in it...Its actually pretty good! I also picked up two huge heads of broccoli for only 89 cents each and the produce they sell is really quality. Mrs Cook

    ReplyDelete