Sunday, March 4, 2012

About this homeless guy I know....

May I write about something I feel compassionate about?   


  I know this homeless guy, I guess hes kinda of like a throwback to a Hippie, at least some people say that.  He has not cut his hair in a while,  his dressing style is a little strange, but hes clean.   He is well loved by his friends, but some people don't want him around them because of the company he keeps.  He loves people that other people would just as soon stay away from, and he does not have any sort of real job.  I guess he is being taken care of by those people he stays with.  If you ever got the chance to hear him speak you would be amazed,  Sometimes when he is on the corner or sitting in the park, he just starts talking,  He has some really hard things to say about the Rich people, and responsibility.  He always manages to draw a crowd, but sometimes the police tell him to get moving, and all of the people who love him have to go home, but if they get the chance to speak to him, they all come back around.   One of the things that he said speaking at a local rally, was that we are just too attached to our things, and if we love our things more then people, and when that happens it is a bad thing, because people are the most important part of life.   He even went further and said it is almost impossible for the wealthy to go to heaven, That really upset some people.  Some of the local religious leaders are trying to shut him down, but some people are talking about maybe a book deal with him, so maybe that would help his homeless situation out, but I think he probably would give most of that away if he practiced what he preaches.  His most controversial thing that he likes to talk about is how we should not judge anybody, and that everyone is our neighbor.  " You mean them!"  Somebody asked him once, he said " Love your Neighbor as yourself and do not cast judgement" He always talks like that!.  Sometimes he seems a little sad, I think his situation is difficult on him sometimes, but he prays a lot and has a lot of faith in God.  You get the feeling he thinks he is not going to be around too long.  I hope he does not go away too soon, I would want everybody to learn his message about Love and Tolerance, and this all coming from a homeless guy!  I have really learned a lot from him, and its really funny but I just can't get enough of talking with him, and hearing him talk to the other people who like to listen to him, a lot of really sick people, and other people who live at the local homeless shelter, like to gather around him.  he is a really amazing guy and I wish everybody gets the chance to know him before he has to move on.    


Thanks for looking in, Mrs Cook





2 comments:

  1. You know, I worked the Big Packet show in Fort Worth, Saturday night,
    We had all day Sunday to rest and relax, before I caught another flight.
    So I decided to walk down town an' get myself a little fresh air.
    Before long, I found myself in front of a big church on the corner of the square.

    Boy, I could hear that singin' way out in the street, sure was a beautiful sound.
    So I just walked up the steps an' opened the door an' started to go inside an' sit down.
    But before I could, a young man walked over to me an said: "Excuse me, Sir,
    "But I can't let you in with that big black hat, those jeans, that beard an' long hair.

    So I just left, went back outside, sat down on that curb, an I thought to myself:
    That's the house of the Lord. That guy's got the hell of a nerve.
    Tellin' me I can't worship anywhere I please.
    So right there, in front of that Church, I just knelt down on my knees.

    I said: "Lord, I know I don't look like much, but I didn't think you'd mind.
    "I just wanted to be with your people, Lord: it's been a long time.
    "A while ago, a saw a wino over there in the alley, all bent over in tears,
    "An' I thought how one stained glass window, from this Church, would feed his family for years."

    "Then there's those fine cars parked outside: too many for me to count.
    "Made me think how people walked for days to hear your sermon on the mount.
    "Then there's those fine ladies in the choir, Lord, singin' like they really love it.
    "Hell, last night, they were dancin' on the front row of my show: drinkin' beer, screamin: "Sing 'Shove It'."

    "You know, even John the Baptist wouldn't be welcome in this place,
    "With his coat made of Camel hair an' sandals on his feet an' a long beard on his face.
    "You know, Lord, when you come back to get your children, an' take 'em beyond the clouds,
    "To live forever in Heaven with you: well, I'd sure hate to be in this crowd.

    "You know, Lord, I'm not perfect; some even call me no count.
    "But I'll tell you: I believe a man is judged by what's in his heart, not what's in his bank account.
    "So if this is what religion is: a big car, a suit an' a tie,
    "Then I might as well forget it Lord, 'cause I can't qualify.

    "Oh, by the way, Lord, right before they kicked me out, didn't I see a picture of you?
    "With sandals an' a beard. Believe you had long hair too."
    "Well, this is Johnny Paycheck, signing off.
    "I'll be seein' you Lord, I hope."

    ReplyDelete