Saturday, June 2, 2012

Some thoughts on possessions, Civil war and otherwise.

So I am going to take some wild turns in this blog, but I hope it all ties in!  
   Last week was a wild roller coaster ride of emotions, From the Greenfield village reenactment, to the fire that devastated the home of My sons Girl friend,  I have done a lot of thinking about life, and possessions and such.  When we do camp at Civil war, esp those who would open our tents to the public, we really for the most part , take what we need, now don't laugh , some of you who haul my stuff, I have a bed, a table, a trunk that stores my clothing, some dishes, writing materials, a lamp, a broom.  I have some food, a carpet that keeps the coldness and dampness down.   For the Out side, I have food storage, a shelf, some tables and chairs.  Since I do conduct a laundry business, and Cook I have the implements needed to have a fire, haul water and hang up laundry.  
  It all fits in one van.  Wagon size.
Nothing I bring is for show, it is the basics needed to live, I use everything, and If I find  that something is not being used, I dump it from the kit.  
   My luxuries if you will, include a few photographs, some basic jewelry kept in a little box, a bible, and my pipe, and tobacco.  I have a beautiful little mirror that I like.  
  I suspect that most poor folk of the era, and that is what I portray, made do with pretty much the same.  
   In our little community, the folks share what they have if there is a need, You can borrow, or barter goods, or services.  The community works for the good of all its citizens.
   Now look around your house, how much is there that is truly needed for survival, and how much is for comfort?   I for one have a ton of cloths, books, teddy bears, things collected from nearly fifty years of life.  It is my world.
   Imagine if in just a few moments it was all gone.   Scotts girlfriend, Jordan is living that right now.  She showed me the pictures, her clothing is all melted together, her bed is a twisted mess, her parents bedroom now has sky for a ceiling.  A lifetime gone in a flash.
   From imagined horrors of war, to a real life tragedy, in just a few days time.  
  But one thing in common, is community, the want to help, the ability to help this girl, we will share what we have, and our home, and many others have stepped up as well.  
    So I guess the message is don't take what you have for granted, we were lucky that Jordan and her family were not injured, love the people in your life as deeply as you can, and don't isolate yourself from family and friends, don't let little annoyances, turn into big battles.
   Don't forget to be thankful.   
Possessions define us somewhat, but it is the memory's that come from our connections to people that will last forever, and comfort us in our troubles, and sustain us in our lives.  I hope everyone has a truly wonderful day today, Thanks for checking in, Mrs Cook. 









































       

No comments:

Post a Comment