Sunday, June 24, 2012

"CUTE" "COSTUMES".....REALLY?

A reenactor friend of mine has posed the question, basically asking why it annoys many of us to be complimented on our "COSTUMES"....
  I have given this much thought so here is my answer to her, and any one else who would ask the question.
   A long time ago a debate arose in the miniature world about the use of the word "CUTE" Now its true that some miniatures are cute, but what that mean?  Cute like kittens? Cute like fuzzy bunny's?....
  Some people who are miniaturists spend long hours replicating something in what we call scale, usually one inch to a foot, often it is furniture.  The craftspeople would study exact dimensions, spend hours carefully carving and sanding, waxing and buffing, to have an exact replica of the piece they were trying to duplicate. In a photograph you would not be able to tell the difference between the full size of the item and the scale size item.  Another issue would be price, a hand crafted museum quality piece could cost hundreds to thousands of dollars.  
 Would anyone who had real knowledge of what goes into creating that item call it "CUTE"?
   To me a "COSTUME" involves plastic, velcro, zippers and the like, or it is something people pick out of their closets to walk in the town parade for their victorian days festivals, they are well meaning and having fun, but they are not educated, they have not studied about what it means to be period correct, While many of us started reenacting in similar outfits, we quickly realized that something was wrong and most of us correct it.  
   Education and caring about what you wear helps the experience and helps bridge the gap between amatures, and true "LIVING HISTORIANS"
  You will also go from camp sitters, to educators, by having a deeper knowledge of what you do, and showing it.






I would like to think you could step into this room!




  So when well meaning people call my outfit a "Costume"  I just smile and say "thank you"  But if a fellow reenactor calls it a costume, I would not like that at all.  You feel that if someone calls your hard work "CUTE", Or your carefully prepared, period correct outfit a "COSTUME" it is demeaning, and devalues the hard work, cost and time spent on what you have done to look as authentic as possible!


"Cute" we are not!   But does it look like we stepped back into time?  I hope so!








I hope not to give anyone the impression I am "Thin skinned" about all of this "CUTE" and "COSTUME" business, its just that I take my interests seriously, and so do most of the miniaturists and living historians I have the great pleasure to call my friends ,but this is the reason  I would prefer it if people could use other words to describe things.   
   We would never ever berate anyone who admires our hard work,and calls it "CUTE or a "COSTUME", maybe just cringe a little on the inside, So if anyone takes the time to talk to us we will listen, answer questions, and be thankful that they care enough to come out and see what we do.  Thanks for looking in, MRS COOK





















3 comments:

  1. Costume: non-accurate pretend clothing to give an impression, whether it be of another era in time or a clown or Santa Clause, etc. Many will use velcro, etc., instead of accurate closures (buttons, etc).
    Period clothing: Accurate styles of another era in time replicating as accurately as one can (including underpinnings and undergarments) the clothing of whichever era one is attempting to emulate. These will be made by using the same materials and patterns as original garments.
    By the way, I don't get offended when a visitor calls it a costume. I will, as Mike hinted at, kindly let them know that what we wear are accurate period clothing, and then will explain to the visitor the difference between the two. I do get offended, however, when another reenactor - one who should know better - calls what I wear a costume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think people call it a costume because that's what "actors wear." They hear about wardrobe changes and costumes that movie stars had to wear for a particular film. My grandmother will never cease to ask me "Are you wearing your costume today?" I guess it doesn't help that we are billed as "costumed interpreters."

    ReplyDelete